Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > For Sale, Trade, Loan or Wanted > For Sale, Commercial Sales
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2004, 10:12 PM
Now Plans Owner AC #009

Default Acrlic Teflon Paint Sealant and Aircraft Painting

Ok after some prodding from Dust yesterday I finally decided to post this and see what kind of response I get.

As some of you know from my posts I am a professional aircraft painter. I have been painting aircraft for over 8 years. This is just a partial list of the types of aircraft I have painted over the years: Boeing 727, 737, 747,757; McDonald Douglas DC-8, DC-9, MD-80, F-15C and D; Beechcraft 1900; Learjet 31, 45, 60; Gulfstream II, III, IV, IV-SP, IV; Global Express; Challenger 600, 601, 604; Hawker; Falcon; and JetStar. As you can see I have done corporate, military, and commercial aircraft.

In addition to this I recently started my own part-time auto detailing and reconditioning service. One of the services I offer is Acrylic Teflon Paint Sealer Application. This sealer has been used and is great on aircraft also. Teflon Sealers are used on aircraft for three main reasons. One is Teflon is a very slick substance and reduces parasite drag. I have heard pilots say it reduces fuel consumption by 2%. (That’s quit a bit for a Global Express has an endurance of 13 hrs in the air without refueling.) Two is it protects the paint from the harsh climate conditions the paint is subject to in flight. Three is it lasts longer than wax. Wax will last from one to three months, polymer sealers will last three to six months, but Acrylic Teflon will last a year in-between treatments.
This is real similar to the Teflon Sealer that I have seen applied to corporate aircraft for approx $10,000 for an application on a Gulfstream IV. I do plan offering it for quite a bit less, as general aviation aircraft are much smaller and I am a small company.

The other item Dust really seemed to want me to post about is Aircraft Painting which is what I need input about . I need to find out what the interest is in this service and if it would be viable for me to offer in the future. It would be a mobile service, to your hanger or garage.

Please feel free to e mail me at cannon@htc.net or call me at 618-910-8703.

Dust also suggested pics of my work. Unfortunately in the world of corporate aircraft no cameras are allowed in the hangers. I guess the companies don’t want the tail numbers shown up on the net. But once I can find the box with the commercial aircraft I have painted I will scan and post them.

Quentin Cannon
cannon@htc.net
618-910-8703.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:28 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Excellent, Quentin. You just might have a couple of customers here. Myself and Marc Z had problems with Polyfiber TopGloss which you may have read about in another thread.

I'll be honest. My paint looks like sh.t. The wings are pretty good (so far), but the canard has a tiny rash thing going, and the fuselage is loosing paint in strips. Must be the speed

Anyway, I'd be interested in knowing what it would cost to get this cr.p off and put something good on. I'm putting this in public so people know that your post was well received, at least by me.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:24 AM
G.Norman

Default Paint

My question to Quentin (or anyone knowlegeable in this): I've been painting cars for some years. I've gone from laquer, to enamel, to acrylic enamel, to the presently used color coat/clear coat acrylic enamels. Do you know if this is sufficient or applicable to epoxies? I know solvents - bad. But like many surfaces out there you can get around this by a good primer/sealer. Besides gelcoats of course, I don't think they're painting 200 mph water-slamming fast boats with Poly Fiber or Randolph.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
Ok after some prodding from Dust yesterday I finally decided to post this and see what kind of response I get.
It wasn't meant as prodding, we just have some different views on this forum.

we allow talk about modifying the cozy, without insults (well, mostly anyway)
We allow people to advertise freely and for free, not only do we allow it we like it.

I make furniture for my other hobby and in doing that I sometimes do a full gloss finish. This requires the same basic steps that painting an airplane takes and doesn't scare me, i look forward to it. The last piece i did this to was a small chest of drawers with high figure cherry veneer with concaved panels and drawer fronts. 36 inches tall, 24 inches wide. the full gloss lacquer finish took 6 weeks each night and a weekend day.

Most do not.

They will gladly use someone whose reputation can be made or ruined here.
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 10-27-2004, 06:52 PM
Now Plans Owner AC #009

Default Re: Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverquit
My question to Quentin (or anyone knowlegeable in this): I've been painting cars for some years. I've gone from laquer, to enamel, to acrylic enamel, to the presently used color coat/clear coat acrylic enamels. Do you know if this is sufficient or applicable to epoxies? I know solvents - bad. But like many surfaces out there you can get around this by a good primer/sealer. Besides gelcoats of course, I don't think they're painting 200 mph water-slamming fast boats with Poly Fiber or Randolph.
I felt this reply should be put in the Finishes section. The reply is here http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net/showthread.php?t=630
Quentin
Old 10-27-2004, 08:53 PM
Now Plans Owner AC #009

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Slade
Excellent, Quentin. You just might have a couple of customers here. Myself and Marc Z had problems with Polyfiber TopGloss which you may have read about in another thread.
That sounds great I just have to work out some details on my end , like how I am going to keep my job, get my auto reconditioning biz going good enough so I don't have to keep my current job, and travel all over the country painting Cozys on the weekends and still build my airplane.