Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > For Sale, Trade, Loan or Wanted > For Sale, Commercial Sales
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2005, 04:31 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Thumbs up Vendor comments - Lightspeed Avionics

I thought we had a vendor comments section. Did it go away?

Anyway, vendor comments good or bad are always useful when you're trying to decide what to buy from whom as you assemble your own private 4 passenger bullet.

Here's one from me.

I bought a Lightspeed 20-3g headset at Sun & Fun. The only time it's ever been used was by Nathan during a taxi test. Next time I looked at it the metal spring inside the headband had broken. I called Lightspeed today. Their response was immediate - What's your address?

I didnt understand why the first thing he wanted was the address. The guy couldnt find me in their registration list, but that didnt matter. He wanted the address so they could get a replacement out .... today. When it arrives, I'm to ship the old one back.

I'm not sure why the headband broke, but you can't beat the service.

Last edited by John Slade : 07-18-2005 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:44 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Thumbs up Vendor comments - Matco

I called Matco today to order a set of brake pads. They have a nice deal where you buy a complete replacement set of shoes with pads attached, then you get a 20% discount every time you swap them out.

I ended up chatting with owner, George Happ, and he took the time to explain the bedding in procedure. Apparantly you're supposed to check what rpm the plane will roll at with brakes hard on, then brake hard from 50 kts or so to 5 kts, (not stop) twice, let the brakes cool, then check the rpm it rolls at again. Who knew? There were no instructions in my package of wheels, tires, brakes etc. Now they have pdf instruction sheets on their website and include printed instructions with the products.

Another item in the (new?) instruction sheet tells you to inflate the tires but NOT install them for 24hrs to give the rubber chance to stretch uniformally. If you don't do this you can get uneven tires which will cause brake shimmy (like what I've got ) Live & learn!

Another nice improvement - JD tells me that the new Michlin tubes don't leak. Ever. I give a thumbs-up to JD ( http://www.infinityaerospace.com ) and Matco http://www.matcomfg.com
Old 07-18-2005, 08:28 PM
Rotary Powered Velocity

Default Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Slade
I'm not sure why the headband broke, but you can't beat the service.
Lightspeed has been discussed in the internet message boards extensively in the past. THeir product has been described as wonderfully comfortable, and they go over the top on their service.

Unfortunately some of their earlier products had significant quality control issues, which necessitated the observed over-the-top Customer Service response. When I say "issues" i am referring to mechanical stuff breaking/falling off (pads, springs, seals).. the electronic end from what I have heard has always worked flawlessly.

I know of one gentleman from Iowa, who inadverdently found himself talking to the president of Lightspeed up at OSH a few years back and was impressed by the response he got, before he even knew who he was talking to.

I do not own their product, but everything I have seen about them and their "service recovery" is that they stand by their product and they want your business.

Dave
Old 07-19-2005, 09:36 AM
Nathan Gifford

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Slade
...The only time it's ever been used was by Nathan during a taxi test. Next time I looked at it the metal spring inside the headband had broken...
I DIDN'T DO IT JOHN!!!!
Better Still --> Chapter 9
Old 07-19-2005, 10:02 AM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

No worries, Nathan.

I wasn't blaming you. I think the metal headband must have been flawed.

Thanks for finding the problem.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:02 PM

Default denial is not a river in Egypt

Funny you would say that john,because last year i let NATHAN GIFFORD use my grand pappies old jack knife(been in the family for decades) and on return i noticed the blade was gone.
not his fault, i let him play with it, any one with a china shop that let bulls play there would be equally to blame
Dont be so hard on him i think he plays with JOE PATTERSON
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ouch.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	1128  
Old 07-19-2005, 08:51 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Y'know, Steve... that picture's not at all funny.

My hangar door is exactly the same design, and it creaks a LOT.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:28 PM
Nathan Gifford

I know it is worth seeing though. After all that work and suffering would you like to see that happen to your bird? I always make sure the plane is out of the line-of-fire.
Better Still --> Chapter 9
Old 07-21-2005, 12:09 AM

Default bird ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Gifford
I know it is worth seeing though. After all that work and suffering would you like to see that happen to your bird? I always make sure the plane is out of the line-of-fire.
i had a bird once but he got lost at a fly in some where
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mvc-407s_small.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	1129