Canard Community Forum  

Go Back   Canard Community Forum > For Sale, Trade, Loan or Wanted > For Sale, Commercial Sales
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2007, 11:44 AM
Got Foam?

Default Re: CNC Mills and Lathes Made Affordable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust View Post
For me it would have been going forwards!

the roll of "tape" i received from AS&S was a tangled MESS. It would have been a simple matter to grab 9 strands and pull them to position, lay them down, wet out and comb than the untangling we had to do.
Did you buy part #01-06799 from ACS for this?
We add rocket's to everything!
Old 08-21-2007, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

i bought the correct material, but at the time they had a dufffffus running it and they had set the tension tooooooo high and quite a bit of it became tangled in the roll that could not been seen till you were usin it.

A REEEL PAIN TO WORK WITH

i would have loved and see no problem with setting up a rack of 9 spools with an accumulator loop and clamp to pull the strands from.

as i have made 2 canards, 4 wings and 2 main spars, i have quite a bit of spar tape pullin experience. most of it with real crap tangled "tape"
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 08-21-2007, 12:10 PM
Got Foam?

Quote:
REEEL PAIN TO WORK WITH
Yeah, my spar cap on the canard will be glass (which I'm working on now) but the main wing will be Carbon Fiber. West Systems does a real nice job of it with their 703 tapes.
We add rocket's to everything!
Old 08-21-2007, 01:37 PM
The MissAdventures Cont'd

If I recall I think this is what Jeff had setup at AeroCAD, pulling from spools through rollers going through an epoxy bath etc, or so it was explained to me.
At the time the machine at Spruce was broken and remained down fo rabout 6 months so we were rather desperate for tape, we eventually rounded up everybody's scraps and made ours from that, talk about seeing the entire history of that machine's production. No two batchs were the same and the variation in one roll was amazing. All in all it is still better than the early EZ method of using UNI strips, actually one huge triangle of UNI accordian folded into the spar cap trough.
...Chrissi

CG Products
www.CozyGirrrl.com - all new pages
Cozy Mk-IV RG RX Turbo
Old 08-21-2007, 01:52 PM

To set the record straight,,,contrary to dusts posts, the spar tape was not bad at all. A few spots needed picking with some dental picks, but overall it went smoothly. Dust was the self appointed epoxy mixer so in actuality had little to do with removing the red tie thread, wetting and combing the fibers out. I would not want to do it anyother way unless it was unavailable.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

heh heh heh

the second roll was fine, the first was a nightmare. the records is straight, heh heh heh, you must have been makin metal parts through most of the first roll
Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 08-21-2007, 07:44 PM

[quote=Cozy Girrrl;52369]If I recall I think this is what Jeff had setup at AeroCAD, pulling from spools through rollers going through an epoxy bath etc, or so it was explained to me.

Something like this

Hennie
Attached Files
File Type: pdf wombatjunior.pdf (131.3 KB, 41 views)
Old 08-21-2007, 07:46 PM

Does anybody have a photograph of the ACS machine or a schematic on what it does?

Hennie
Old 08-22-2007, 12:54 AM

Quote:
heh heh heh

the second roll was fine, the first was a nightmare. the records is straight, heh heh heh, you must have been makin metal parts through most of the first roll
Here,,,,let me refresh your poor memory embellished with self serving fantacy.. In the basement,,,,I was on the right side and did the pulling off the roll set-up I made,,,,,Thane was on my left. We did the work of laying in the glass, removing the lock stitch, combing and wetting the glass out from the epoxy you mixed for us. We did give you credit for "thinking about it" as you requested.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:18 AM
The MissAdventures Cont'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennie Engelbrecht View Post
Does anybody have a photograph of the ACS machine or a schematic on what it does?

Hennie
I did, and may still somewhere on another PC.
It it made like an old world machine, someone took a lot of pride in workmanship etc but it is still a simple weaving loom. What makes it unique is that it was designed to operate automatically and obviously faster than hand weaving. These things are great fun at slow speed but you can imagine that it hits the fan when you have a malfunction at high speed, a broken or even partially broken strand, or one spool runs out etc. It is as much dependant on the operator as the machine. Weaving is normally a craft and takes some learning to pick up the subtlties. This would be the adjustments and fine tuning of the CNC machine in terms of tension and timing.
...Chrissi

CG Products
www.CozyGirrrl.com - all new pages
Cozy Mk-IV RG RX Turbo
Old 08-22-2007, 09:07 AM

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/ccanedy/sparcaptape.html

Think this is it ...
Old 08-23-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozy Girrrl View Post
I wish we could all collaborate and design a new CNC version of the loom Aircraft Spruce uses to weave the spar cap tape with.
Regards, Chrissi
I'm a little confused. Is there a difference between the 3" tape that Wicks sells and that AS&S sells? If there is which one is the best to use? I haven't arrived at this point yet but would like to purchase the correct spar tape.

Mark sn1303
Old 08-23-2007, 10:20 PM

No difference, Spruce makes the tape that Wicks sells.